11 January 2011

Mondays.

Yesterday was the start of term.  My 9:00 Monday class wasn't beginning this week (or, the tutorial was, but not the lecture or practical or something?), so I only had class at 11.  Thank goodness for that.  My alarm clock didn't go off, so I woke up at 10:50, only I thought it was 1:50 pm.  The screen on my alarm clock got damaged while traveling, and combined with military time, 10:50 could be interpreted as 13:50.  So I panicked for about 5 minutes, thinking I'd missed class completely.  I was momentarily relieved when I realized it was only 10:55, but met with renewed panic when I realized class started in five minutes, and I didn't really know where it was.  It was an exciting start to the day.

I bought a new alarm clock immediately after class.

Today I checked out the gym (haven't failed my New Year's resolution yet!), and discovered that NO ONE wears shorts here.  And there were a lot of people at the gym.  Whatever, it's way too comfortable to wear athletic shorts when you're doing, you know, athletics.  They're just going to have to deal with some American leg.

I have to leave soon to check out the opera program (that didn't sound elitist), but I wanted to post at least a few pictures of the beautiful buildings in this area.  

This is the building across the street, I have a great view from my room.  I love it because I think it really encapsulates the uniquely British ability to honor tradition while progressing forward, fuse old and new.

I pass this on my way to campus.  It's a spectacular cathedral, and I think the telephone booths really add something.  Like, the color red.

This is for my family and anyone else who has seen me eat cilantro.  I'm struggling between the fact that the restaurant looks good and is close-by, and that its name is Cilantro.  Who named it that?  Some one prejudiced against the people for whom cilantro tastes like Ivory soap, that's who.  Mom, I wasn't kidding: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html












No comments:

Post a Comment